Linting tools help improve the code quality and optimize it for better performance. Linting tools have sets of defined rules to verify the code, without actually executing the code. Web designers often overlook the CSS code quality and unstructured coding style. As the product grows, this can create a real mess and usually results in a lot of difficulty finding and fixing the issues. You will find many articles with lists of CSS linting tools, but unfortunately most of the tools are no longer available. Hence, this post talks about the 4 best ACTIVE CSS linting tools which you can leverage to validate and optimize your CSS code. Enjoy!
CSS Lint can be easily integrated with your favorite IDE to make checking your CSS code quality easy. CSS Lint can be run on the command line so you can incorporate it into your build system.
StyleLint is a mighty, modern CSS linter and fixer that helps you avoid errors and enforce consistent conventions in your stylesheets. It features:
- Over one hundred and fifty rules to catch errors, limit language features and enforces stylistic conventions.
- Support for the latest CSS syntax
- Understands CSS-like syntaxes
- Only enable the rules you want and configure them with options that tailor the linter to your needs.
- Support for creating your own rules and add them to the linter.
- Automatically fixes some stylistic warnings
- Shareable configs
- Over ten thousand tests cover the internals and rules.
- Large growing community and used by major companies like Facebook, GitHub, Wikimedia, GSA, and WordPress among others.
CSSNano is a modern, modular compression tool written on top of the PostCSS ecosystem, which allows us to use a lot of powerful features in order to compact CSS appropriately. It takes your nicely formatted CSS and runs it through many focused optimizations, to ensure that the final result is as small as possible for a production environment. By default, CSSNano performs safe optimizations on your CSS file, but we also offer an advanced preset with techniques that you can use to maximize compression.
Optimized CSS code is a must for any website for best performance. The CSS linting tools help create clean, validated and optimized code based on predefined sets of rules. This post briefly talk about 4 of the best actively maintained CSS linting tools to help you write better CSS code.